Monday, March 8, 2010

Mirror Mirror on the wall.......

.....what's your best food storage recipe? That doesn't really work does it?! Hmm. Well let me explain my question. I would like to have some sort of food storage for rainy days, job layoffs, or some sort of emergency. Liking and doing are two different things. I am yet to actually do it.

Food storage should consist of foods that are actually enjoyed by the family and can be easily rotated. In my efforts to accomplish this I have come up with only ONE recipe so far that meets this criteria. Of course pasta and canned spaghetti sauce is always good to stock up on, but not craved so much at my house. Obviously flour, sugar, and other dry goods can last a while, but I am searching for meals that will not need too many items from the fridge or freezer to complete the meal.

I would appreciate if you would help by just listing an idea. You don't even have to give me a recipe. Just tell me what you would keep on hand for your family that would work and hopefully that will inspire me. Thank you.

Here is an example of my food storage recipe:

All you need to do is brown 1 lb of hamburger with one diced onion and combine the pictured ingredients for a delicious taco soup. I am working on canning my own hamburger using a pressure cooker and if that happens that I really don't need anything from my fridge!

1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can ranch style beans
1 jar of your favorite salsa
1 can of corn
1 can of Rotel
and 1 lb of cooked hamburger meat with onion

Combine and simmer for 30 minutes. Top with your favorite ingredients such as sour cream, cheese, or even lettuce and eat as if it were soup. This is a great meal full of good protein and nutrients. I always have leftovers and often turn it into a casserole by smashing corn chips and layering on the bottom and top with cheese and baking in the oven until it melts.
Now, please allow me to take the time to thank my good friend Louise for this lovely award:

Here are the rules:

Thank the person who gave you the award: Thanks again Louise! I am so flattered that you thought of me!

Paste the award on your blog (check!)

Link the person who nominated you for the award (check check)

Tell 7 interesting things about yourself (not as easy as I thought)

1. I am not one of those super crafty talented people that can just create things out of nothing, so cooking and having blogging friends that cook is a wonderful thing in my little life.

2. I was crying myself to sleep several times in the last months over my husband possibly getting laid off as a firefighter. Thankfully his job was saved (for now.)

3. I am ready for another baby even though we have had several disasters created by just one baby today.

4. Once I had raspberry lemonade creme brulee at a fancy restaurant and I have been dreaming of the day we could afford to go back there again.

5. I include the question :" what did you order, or make today?" in almost every conversation with almost everyone. I love food and I love to talk about it.

6. Now that I am a stay at home mom I am becoming a bit of a hermit and that worries me slightly.

7. All of the best conversations I have ever had have been at a dinner table or included some sort of tasty treat while talking.


Nominate 7 bloggers or less

I too hate this part of awards. I don't mean to be ungrateful, but I just want to pick everyone and not bug the people that don't want to participate. Just know that I love everyone, but feel these people have inspired me lately.

1. suburbsanity

2. myburningkitchen

3. homemade heaven

4. year on the grill

5. sidewalk shoes

6. pulsipher predictions

7. countryfriedmamma


6 comments:

  1. That recipe looks awesome and easy.

    I am glad your husband was spared! That is so scary.

    And thank you so much for the award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the hermit aspect -

    If it weren't for walking Khyra (and Merdie) or the weekend transports.....

    ANYWAY, thanks for sharing the recipe - that is a pseudo kind of comfort food too -

    AND CONGRATS on your award!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo... that looks like our version of the taco pie!

    THANK YOU SO MUCH for the recognition and for pointing out some other lovely blogs as well. :) Also thank you for sharing a bit of yourself as well. I can't even possibly imagine how dreamy that creme brulee is! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear.. I just had this the other day... beans, beans beans = )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for nominating me! You are such a sweetie! It's too early for me to think of a storage dish, but about half my blog is storage food! My favorite thing to have on hand is pickled items. They make the perfect side dish to sandwiches or a store roasted chicken. And yes, I recieved your spice! I'm so sorry I didn't email you back. I have been using it constantly in my homemade vinaigrette and my husband likes it on his steak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kasha! What a thought provoking post. I'm afraid I don't give much thought to food storage these days. It always reminds me of those times when food storage meant items on hand in case of a disaster; heaven forbid. I can certainly understand those feelings when worried about losing ones job. I'm so glad things are looking much better now. One of my favorite books to rely on was titled Stocking Up. It was a wonderful resource then, and, seems to be in its third revised edition now.

    Your meal looks like real comfort food always a welcomed biteful in moments of trying times. Thank you so much for sharing and thank you so much for being; "A Beautiful Blogger"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please come again!

Raw Spice Bar

Raise your hand if you love to cook, but find yourself just finishing up your 8,987th meal and you are fresh out of ideas. Just me?  I h...