Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Story About a Ham




This is a story about a ham. I bought this ham at Costco as I had been eyeing it for several weeks after a tasty sample. Tis the season for sales on spiral sliced ham. I am trying to be a bit more economical about my meal selections as I realize that come March food prices are going to go up due to inflation. This ham made my week! Let me explain how.

First, it made a lovely Sunday meal with the delicious glaze provided, along with funeral potatoes and green beans as sides.







The next night it became a delicious Hawaiian pizza with fresh pineapple (also from Costco) and sliced up ham. I used the ready-made Boboli pizza crust. I highly recommend this brand for homemade pizza.





However, this was my favorite. Maybe it was because I had a cold, or because it was extra cold in Arizona this week, but this soup not only hit the spot, but became my new favorite.

White Bean Soup
(adapted from epicurious)

Ingredients:

2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 (14- to 15-ounce) can stewed tomatoes (with Italian seasonings)
2 cups cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 (19-ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained (3 cups)
1 (1/2-pound) piece baked ham (1/2 to 3/4 inch thick), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 baby arugula I used a small 5 oz container, but wish I had more. You can also use baby romaine if you prefer that taste.


Cook garlic in 1/4 cup oil in a 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Coarsely cut up tomatoes in can with kitchen shears, then add (with juice) to garlic in oil. Stir in broth, beans, ham, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Stir in greens and cook until wilted, 3 minutes for romaine or 1 minute for arugula.

So easy! So delicious! Let me know if this becomes your ham story! I know it will repeat itself for me next year! Serve and Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Nothing beats a ham for the ability to feed you for days and days, except maybe a turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be doing ham for Christmas Eve. Your pizza idea sounds really good - might just try that one. We usually do pea soup with the bone and what's left of the ham but your bean soup sounds good too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me some ham. It is like a friggin' trannsformer in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just popped in to wish you a Happy Holiday, Kasha. I'll take some ham to go if you have any left after this feast!!!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please come again!

Raw Spice Bar

Raise your hand if you love to cook, but find yourself just finishing up your 8,987th meal and you are fresh out of ideas. Just me?  I h...