Thursday, April 23, 2009

How does your garden grow!?



I love this time of year when you can grab fresh produce from your own garden! Unfortunately we just moved, so my own garden is just a figment of my imagination, but my town had a Farmers Market day and I went and picked up some peas and delicious tomatoes. My favorite dish growing up was creamy peas and new potatoes my Grandmother used to make. I tried making this myself and it ended up being pretty tasty, and of course very easy.
Prepare basic white sauce:
1. In saucepan melt 2 tbs butter over low heat. Next blend 2 tbs of flour into the melted butter. Add 1/4 tsp of salt. Cook over low heat while stirring for about 4-5 minutes. This will reduce the flour taste. Slowly stir in 1 cup of milk and turn up the heat to medium-high. As it heats up it will begin to thicken.

2. I of course doubled the above recipe. Before I started the white sauce I boiled my little red potatoes till they were just soft. Just as white sauce began to thicken I added my potatoes and peas to the mixture so they could soften a little bit more before the sauce was complete. I added salt and pepper to taste, but added 1-2 tsp of Alpine Touch seasoning(see below for how to get this lovely seasoning for your spice cupboard)

3. I then fried up some chicken and poured the mixture over top. To make my meal complete I sliced up those lovely tomatoes and just served with a little salt. Delicious! Serve and Enjoy!

Alpine touch is one of my most favorite seasonings. I mostly use it in my mashed potatoes and soups. You can get it here. I have had the same container for 3 years. It will last a long time and make you the winner of the best potatoes.

1 comment:

  1. This meal is my idea of comfort food - this looks AMAZING, especially the white sauce. MMmm good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please come again!

Raw Spice Bar

Raise your hand if you love to cook, but find yourself just finishing up your 8,987th meal and you are fresh out of ideas. Just me?  I h...