Food storage should consist of foods that are actually enjoyed by the family and can be easily rotated. In my efforts to accomplish this I have come up with only ONE recipe so far that meets this criteria. Of course pasta and canned spaghetti sauce is always good to stock up on, but not craved so much at my house. Obviously flour, sugar, and other dry goods can last a while, but I am searching for meals that will not need too many items from the fridge or freezer to complete the meal.
I would appreciate if you would help by just listing an idea. You don't even have to give me a recipe. Just tell me what you would keep on hand for your family that would work and hopefully that will inspire me. Thank you.
Here is an example of my food storage recipe:
All you need to do is brown 1 lb of hamburger with one diced onion and combine the pictured ingredients for a delicious taco soup. I am working on canning my own hamburger using a pressure cooker and if that happens that I really don't need anything from my fridge!
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can ranch style beans
1 jar of your favorite salsa
1 can of corn
1 can of Rotel
and 1 lb of cooked hamburger meat with onion
Combine and simmer for 30 minutes. Top with your favorite ingredients such as sour cream, cheese, or even lettuce and eat as if it were soup. This is a great meal full of good protein and nutrients. I always have leftovers and often turn it into a casserole by smashing corn chips and layering on the bottom and top with cheese and baking in the oven until it melts.
Now, please allow me to take the time to thank my good friend Louise for this lovely award:
Here are the rules:
Thank the person who gave you the award: Thanks again Louise! I am so flattered that you thought of me!
Paste the award on your blog (check!)
Link the person who nominated you for the award (check check)
Tell 7 interesting things about yourself (not as easy as I thought)
1. I am not one of those super crafty talented people that can just create things out of nothing, so cooking and having blogging friends that cook is a wonderful thing in my little life.
2. I was crying myself to sleep several times in the last months over my husband possibly getting laid off as a firefighter. Thankfully his job was saved (for now.)
3. I am ready for another baby even though we have had several disasters created by just one baby today.
4. Once I had raspberry lemonade creme brulee at a fancy restaurant and I have been dreaming of the day we could afford to go back there again.
5. I include the question :" what did you order, or make today?" in almost every conversation with almost everyone. I love food and I love to talk about it.
6. Now that I am a stay at home mom I am becoming a bit of a hermit and that worries me slightly.
7. All of the best conversations I have ever had have been at a dinner table or included some sort of tasty treat while talking.
Nominate 7 bloggers or less
I too hate this part of awards. I don't mean to be ungrateful, but I just want to pick everyone and not bug the people that don't want to participate. Just know that I love everyone, but feel these people have inspired me lately.