Saturday, April 11, 2009
Some Facts about Peeps!
(thanks to wikipedia)
Did you know Rodda Candy Company originally started Peeps in the 1920s? In 1958 Just Born acquired the Rodda Candy Company and that is where we get the Peeps we enjoy today.
Originally each Peep was hand made which took nearly a day to complete. Today there is of course a machine that pipes out these tasty treats by the millions.
There are orange Peeps for Halloween,strawberry and vanilla Peeps for Valentines Day, and even sugar cookie flavors for Christmas.
This year Just Born candy company has just released Peeps lip balm! Check your local target if interested.
Thanks to the official Peeps website:
I found this delicious recipe with Peeps!
• PEEPS® Orange Marshmallow Chicks
• 10 large naval oranges
• 4-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
• 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
• 1/3 cup orange juice
• 2-1/4 tsp. orange extract
• 1 spring mint (optional)
1. Cut a thin slice of the rind off the bottom of each orange so it sits flat.
2. Cut off the top 1/3 of each orange. With a grapefruit spoon, scoop out pulp. Invert
oranges onto paper towels to drain. Remove and discard membrane from orange pulp;
3. In a mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners’ sugar and extract; beat until stiff peaks form. Beat in orange juice. Fold in reserved orange pulp.
4. Spoon into orange shells. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Before serving, top each with a PEEPS® Orange Marshmallow Chick and a sprig of mint.
Makes 10, Serve and Enjoy!